Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Some days I amaze myself. 
Other days I look for my phone while I’m talking on it
DEMENTIA

If I get Dementia by Rachel Wonderlin

“If I get dementia, I want my friends and family to embrace my reality. If I think my spouse is still alive or I think we’re visiting my parents for dinner, let me believe those things. I’ll be much happier for it. 
If I get dementia, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am. 
If I get dementia, I still want to enjoy all the things I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read, and visit with friends. 
If I get dementia, ask me to tell you a story from my past. 
If I get dementia and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me. 
If I get dementia, treat me the way you would want to be treated. 
If I get dementia, make sure there are plenty of snacks in the house. Even now, if I don’t eat, I get angry. I may have trouble explaining what I need. 
If I get dementia, don’t talk about me as if I was not in the room. 
If I get dementia, don’t feel guilty if you cannot care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault and you’ve done your best. Find someone who can help you or choose a great new place for me to live. 
If I get dementia and I live in a dementia care community, visit me often. 
If I get dementia, don’t act frustrated if I mix up names, events or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault. 
If I get dementia, make sure I have my favorite music playing within earshot. 
If I get dementia and like to carry around items, help me return them to their original places. 
If I get dementia, don’t exclude me from parties and family gatherings.
If I get dementia, know that I still like receiving hugs or handshakes. 
If I get dementia, know that I am still the person you know and love.”

“16 things I would want if I got dementia”, http://www, nextavenue.org/16-things-I-would-want-if-I-got-dementia/, Accessed December 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment